Friday, February 29, 2008

Those Pesky Have-To's

I hate tax time. I tend to put all my preparations off until the last possible minute. Today, we have a 3:00 appointment to get them done professionally, and I am just now getting everything together! How ridiculous is that!! It's not like I don't know April 15th is fast approaching just as it does year after year after year. At any rate, I am now finished compiling all the information and will be glad to hand it over to someone much more qualified than myself to make sense of it all. The best part is that we will more than likely get a nice refund check for all the inconvenience!

There seems to be a myriad of those have-to things every day. Taxes are the worst, by far, but the rest of them aren't so great either. For instance.....laundry comes immediately to mind. No matter how many hours a day I spend drudging away in my too-small laundry room, the next day it is all there facing me again. Maybe we have entirely too many clothes. Maybe we change them too often. (well, daily is probably not too often!) I don't know what the answer is. I just know I will be there in front of that washer and dryer today just like I was yesterday and just like I will be tomorrow.

Another have-to thing is work. Not that I am lazy in any way. I think it is actually impossible for a work-at-home mom to be lazy. But, when you throw in the homeschooling, the housecleaning (and don't forget the laundry, ugghh!!), who has time for work! My issue is that I try to work while the kids are in and out of the room interrupting me every other second about something "urgent" to them. The struggle comes because I would prefer to be giving them my full attention, but instead, I am trying to work. How can that be right? To me it isn't, but at this point in time, I have no choice. It is a have-to.

One thing I truly have-to do every day is a joy to me; That is to pick up my Bible and spend time with Jesus. It is a have-to because I cannot survive without it. No one makes me do it. I am aware, though, that if I don't, all the other have-to's will be entirely overwhelming to me. I would certainly collapse under the weight of them if I was not supported by a relationship with my Creator. Spending time in his Word gives me the strength to face all the mundane stuff in my life.

My husband, children and my home bring me much joy. The upkeep of them does not. Through my daily time with God, I find just what I need to face those challenges in any given day. I find ways to get through the have-to's joyfully so I can REALLY enjoy my family.

If you are feeling particularly overwhelmed today, grab a cup of coffee and your Bible. Try to find a quiet place to meet with your Savior. He is the professional that can make sense of it all. He can take the mess that we have compiled and turn it into something worthwhile and beautiful. Pass through the inconveniences with Him and you will find something good waiting for you.


Psalm 29:11- " The Lord gives strength to His people; The Lord blesses His people with strength."

Colossians 3:16-17- " Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. And, whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to the Father through Him."

Write down in your journal what seems to be overwhelming you today.

Ask God for some ways to pass through the have-to's with joy.

Write a prayer thanking God for all the have-to's in your life. Remember, without them you would be lonely and unproductive....Unable to make a difference. Our have-to's are a gift from God. They make us stronger.

Blessings,
Starr

No comments: