Thursday, February 28, 2008

Warning Signs

Well, I went to the Dr. today for a physical. Definitely not my favorite thing to do. But, a necessity none-the-less. I have had a feeling for the last month that they would tell me some things I did not want to hear. Lo and behold, they did.
My dear husband, health nut that he is, has been telling me for the last year or so that my eating habits are terrible, and they are. I crave sweets like they are going out of style. Trouble is, I eat what I crave whether it is good for me or not. I do not exercise. I am tired all the time. I have fibromyalgia. Now, today, I find out my cholesterol is high. Not extremely high, but higher than it should be. My Dr. also said if I did not lay off of the soft drinks, I would be a diabetic in no time.
I used to walk about three miles a day. Last year I had surgery in October, (the third surgery in as many years), and I never got back into the habit of it. I do miss it. As a busy homeschool mom, I enjoyed the early morning solitude of that quiet walk. It gave me time alone with the Lord and time to focus on His voice. It also kept me in a positive frame of mind. My energy level was higher, too. It even kept me from having the occasional anxiety attack. My husband rides a bike; sometimes 20 miles a day. He has even ridden to work which is about 28 miles away from home (and back, too!). If I tried that, I would have to be brought home in an ambulance!
All this news today got me to thinking about why on earth we do not heed the warning signs. They are always there. Physically and spiritually. God has laid out for us in His word the "dos & don'ts" for everything we face in this life. My deepest desire is reflected perfectly in Psalm 40: 8. It says," I desire to do your will O Lord, Your law is within my heart". I know it is His will that I should prosper in this life and be healthy. Of course that is my desire as well. So, why do I go on and follow my every whim when it comes to my diet? Proverbs 3:7-8 says, " Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil. This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones". I know it is not wise for me to indulge like I do with my dietary habits, it's just that those blasted Dr. Peppers taste soooo good!
What does God say to that? "I warned you when you felt secure, but you said,'I will not listen!' ( Jeremiah 22:21) Yep! Holding on to that nice cold soft drink may be a security thing for me. Who knows. Maybe it's like a kid's blankie. I just need to hang on tight and, instead of a snuggle, I sneak in a sip every now and then all throughout the day. I have refused to listen to those warning signs; my husband's voice, my tiredness, my incessant cravings for sugar. They've been there all along, but I just shrugged them off. Now I have to pay the consequences for my disobedience.
I have a feeling it's not too late to make a turn around. My sugar is not too high yet. So, if I do something now maybe I can avoid the diabetes thing and get the cholesterol down to normal, too. I am going to strive to be diligent in disciplining myself and what I eat from now on. It won't be pleasant, I'm sure, but worthwhile. Hebrews 12:11 says, " No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it".
I think I have seen the light. I could sure use the peace of feeling good, being positive and having lots of energy! Now that I know what the culprit is, (I think I really did all along), I can do something about it. Maybe next time I go to the Dr. (Not Dr. Pepper, mind you), I can tell him what he wants to hear and he will be happy I have heeded the warning signs! I am beginning to re-train myself!
I would start walking again first thing tomorrow morning, but it is supposed to be soooo cold! BRRRRR! Oh mercy, I think I need your prayers!
Starr*

No comments: